4.5.14

Food Adventure Prague - Trdelník (What?)

Day 1.

As I was walking around this market in Prague, while it was raining, I saw something I had never seen before. It looked like the bread I made when I was a scout. You know when you take the bread and twist it around a stick and bake it over campfire. I saw a lot of people eating this, mostly tourist, but I had to try it anyway.

'Ello!

So I did my research and according to Wikipedia it's actually a pastry from Hungary, so it isn't Czech, but since I first tried it in The Czech Republic I'm going to give them a high five anyway! Go Czech! It's called a trdelník and I have no idea how to pronounce it.

I tried to observe how they made it - a bit difficult since I have no baking/cooking skills at all, but I tried. I think it is bread dough rolled around a stick and grilled/baked on those weird turning metal sticks (Look at the picture below) until the bread is golden crispy-ish. When the bread is done it's rolled in sugar. Also I think they put something special in the dough, because it really tastes like a pastry and not like normal bread, even though it looks so much like it.

The bread is still kind of soft when you eat it. You defiantly have to try them while they're still warm, because it tastes different if you wait until they're cold. I mean you don't have to eat them if they're burning hot, but I think you get what I'm trying to say. Maybe.


I got so addicted to them, that I ate one again the day after, even though I was completely full after lunch.  Next time I'm going to Prague, or maybe even Hungary, I need to try one again.... or maybe two...

Day 2

When I try new food in other countries it always seems like my taste buds changes completely. I have never actually been a picky eater. When I was younger my favorite dish was Thai spinach soup and broccoli and all of my friends and classmates thought I was gross. Hahah - Ah memories!




You can get them with different toppings(-ish), but when I said coconut it didn't seem like they heard me, because I got one with almonds. It costed 60Kč (Czech Koruna) which is around $ 3/2.2 /£ 1.8. It's a really sweet pastry, and I don't usually like it when there's too much sugar in it or when the sugar crunches when you eat it, but it was really good. 


It looks like bread, but doesn't taste like it at all.

 
   post signature

Love you all and have a great super amazing day!

PS. // My Life: Today my best friend is going have his confirmation. It's a Christian tradition, where you confirm being baptized as a baby and believing in God, but most people I know just do it for the money and the gifts. My friend is a Buddhist, so it's a bit weird, but it's a big day and my friends and I are going to congrats him.  



No comments:

Post a Comment