16.12.15

New English Words I Have Learned // My Life


As I am always trying to improve my English and learn new words, there will always be words I am more proud to know than others – Mostly all the long, more complicated words no one knows or uses. 

I have collected some of the new words I have learned this year (I sound so much like a 5-year old doing 'Word of The Day'). I have not yet been in a conversation, where I have actually used any of the words, but maybe one day... Anyway, you can't have a too small vocabulary, can you?


Most of the words I have learned are from TV-shows (I watch way too much tv), where I am so used to not caring about what the individual words mean, because I get the context. Instead I started to pause the tv-show whenever I heard the word, just so I could look it up. I am so annoying, I walk around asking people if they know what the words mean, while knowing they will say no, just so I can tell them. I AM EXACTLY LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD WHO LEARNED TO TIE HER OWN SHOES JEEZ!

1,5 year ago I also made a blog post similar to this one called "English Words I Still Can't Spell", where I also explain the background of my English. I found it quite fun to read it again. It is a blog post I am very proud of and you can click HERE to check out the post and then come back and read this one!

~ · ~

THE 8 NEW WORDS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! 
I tend to make way too dramatic intros...

1. Facetious adjective
Meaning: To treat serious issues with deliberate inappropriate humour.
Where I learned it from: The episode of Doctor Who where people were dissapering, because a lonely alien had possessed a child. I sound like a complete maniac for watching tv-shows like that, but seriously watch it. 
Origin: From the late 16th century. It derives from the French word: facétieux, from facétie, from the Latin word 'facetia' , which derives from facetus meaning ‘witty’.

2. Valiant adjective
Meaning: To possess or show courage or determination.
Where I learned it from: I really can't remember
Origin: Middle English from the Old French word 'vailant', based on the Latin 'valere' meaning ‘ to be strong’.

3. Sanctimonious adjective
Meaning: Showing to morally superior to other people.
Where I learned it from: The "WWJD"-episode of Netflix's Jessica Jones, I believe. 
Origin: Early 17th century. The word derives from Latin the latin word 'sanctimonia' meaning ‘sanctity’, which derives from sanctus meaning ‘holy’.

4. Phlegmatic adjevtive
Okay wait, stop for a second... Why and how is this even a word???  
Meaning: Meaning showing little emotion or being in an unemotional disposition
Where I learned it from: I think I read it in a poem, where word was just repeated through out the poem... Who writes poems with the word 'phlegmatic' in it? How can a word such as 'phlegmatic' be poetic??
Origin: Middle English. The word derives  from the Old French word 'fleumatique', via Latin from  the Greek 'phlegmatikos'.

5. Slander verb
Meaning: the act of making a false, negative spoken statement about someone.
Where I learned it from: The same Doctor Who episode, where I learned the word 'Facetious' from.
Origin: Middle English – The word derives from Old French 'esclandre' (I knew the French word, but not the English whut), alteration of escandle, from late Latin scandalum

6. Verisimilitude noun
Meaning: Something that appears real or true to its form
Where I learned it from: Pinterest did this thing where I saw my entire dash twice, so the word 'verisimilitude was all over my screen four times and I was too curious to not wanting to look it up.
Origin: The early 17th century: from Latin verisimilitudo, which derives from the word 'verisimilis'.

7. Beacon noun
Meaning: a signal fire
Where I learned it from: My teacher kept saying it in class to that point, where I simply had to ask, because I wanted to know what word you could possible say so many times without explaining it.
Origin: Old English 'bēacn' of West Germanic origin meaning ‘sign, portent, ensign’.

8. Indent noun
Meaning: an official order
Where I learned it from: I read it somewhere on the amazing world wide web. I sound so old......
Origin: From the late Middle English: The word derives from the Anglo-Norman French word 'endenter' or the medieval Latin word indentare'.

~ · ~

And there they were my 8 golden words for 2015. Will I ever use them, haha? I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post and maybe even learned a word or two :) Did you know any of the words already or have you ever used the words verbally? Let me know in the comments, beloooooow! Have a happy Wednesday everyone! 


post signature
 
Love you all! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment