5.12.16

Lucid Dreaming: I Haven't Slept For a Week // Life


Last night's experience with lucid dreaming + I haven't slept well for the last week, and I think I am becoming insane!
Hello again,

I'm a bit of a crisis due to lack of sleep, so bear with me that I can't really understand what I'm writing.

4 - 5 months back I got really interested in lucid dreaming and wanted to try it. Lucid dreaming is basically when you're dreaming, but you're aware that you're dreaming and can then control you dreams. It sounds freaky. It is freaky. It is also awesome, but I've only tried it a few times before. Who would not want to be able to have so much self-actualisation to control their own dreams? This is basically the closest thing we come to Inception.

There are many ways to start lucid dreaming. I am a beginner, so I just try to realize I am dreaming while I am dreaming. This means I need some type of sign that this is not reality. For this I use some dream checks.

These are some dream checks listed by this website called, www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com
Breathe - Can you hold your nose and mouth shut and breathe? 
Jump - When you jump, do you float back down? 
Read - Can you read a sentence twice without it changing? 
Look - Is your vision clearer or blurrier than normal? 
Hand - Can you push hand through a solid surface? 
Time - Can you read a clock face or digital watch? 
Fly - Can you will yourself to fly or hover above the ground? 
Palms - Do the palms of your hands look normal close-up? 
Mirrors - Does your reflection look normal in the mirror? 
Math - Can you add up two numbers for a correct answer?

My personal dream checks includes reading, looking at a watch, counting my fingers (in dreams you sometimes might have four or six fingers) and doing math.

I remember a while back I dreamt I woke up in the middle of the night, got out of bed and locked at my wall clock and I just couldn't understand what it was saying and my digital clock on my oven kept going from being 3:24 to 9:12.

Be aware I have heard people discourage people to look at themselves in the mirror while dreaming, as it may look distorted and cause you to get scared and wake up.

It is a really informative and good website and if you're interested in reading more I might write some more posts about it or you can go to their website and read more! :-) There are also a few youtube channels than discuss the topic, if you're more of a visual person.

~ · ~

Yesterday night I had trouble falling asleep and I woke up at 6 in the morning. I decided to get some more sleep, since I hadn't slept well for the last week. 

I dreamed I woke up in my bed, but I was aware that I was dreaming and kept doing all of these dream checks such as counting my fingers by moving them one by one, pinching myself and trying to read. I remember every time I woke up, I unlocked my phone immediately and I tried to read the name of my folders and they kept changing from 'mtoge' to 'mgttoie'. In reality the folders on my phone are just emojis, but apparently I had forgot.

Every time I realized I was still dreaming I tried to "go to sleep" and then wake up again, only to repeat the whole process again. One time I "woke up" at my bedroom at my parent's place, one time I woke up in an alternative modified version of my current bedroom, another time I woke up with one of my friends beside me. IT WAS SO WEIRD. 

I had to wake up 5 - 6 times, before I actually woke up, but it took me some minutes to trust that I was actually awake + I had to get up and get to school, so I never got to process any of it.

Looking back at it I might've realized I was in sleep paralysis and wanted to wake up, but then began dreaming instead. Whether it being stress, my anxiety or lucid dreaming gone wrong I have not slept more than 5 hours each night the last week and most nights I wake up a few times between 2 - 5am. 

Tomorrow my classes first start at 10, so maybe I'll get to sleep for a few hours more.





No comments:

Post a Comment